Basic transmission care is so simple, it just takes a few minutes and it will extend your vehicle life by years.
1. Change the Transmission oil and filter at least once every 50K miles.
2. When you start your vehicle let it set in neutral to the count of 20 before you put it in gear every morning.
3. Come to a complete stop before you shift into neutral, reverse, or drive.
4. Check transmission fluid frequently and NEVER over fill it.
5. Never spin your tires on pavement, this causes wear and tear on your transmission.
Taking care of your transmission is not difficult, but it does require serious thought as to drive patterns, behaviors, and habits of the driver. You must consider your vehicle and never expect more than it should be able to provide mechanically. Overextending the simple uses wear on engine and transmission parts.
Keep your tires aired to regulation levels and carefully consider your driving habits. Do they need to change?
Becoming a good driver also means being a safer driver. Extending the life of your vehicle with good driving habits may actually save your life. Consider the alternative to bad driving habits.
* lower gas mileage
* longer tire wear
* better long term performance
* lower costs and repairs
* better maintenance values
* less wear and tear on vehicle
* better resale market values